|Spawn||At night time|
“When the sun falls, Cockatrices crawl away from their well-hidden nests, ready to attack!”
Cockatrices spawn exclusively at night and may spawn in large groups.
Cockatrices will walk around a bit until they see the player, at which point they will aggressively fire poison darts. These darts inflict Nausea and Poison, which will inflict two hearts of damage. Vanilla poison will never reduce the player below one heart. They are also notably shorter than Moas and are capable of gliding. They also glow during the night, allowing players to differentiate Cockatrices from Moa more easily.
- Cockatrices have been reported to spawn inside houses with insufficient lighting.
- Using the /ride command from the Single Player Commands mod enables riding and controlling Cockatrices. However, they will attack after dismounting.
- Cockatrices are based on a mythological creature that is hatched from a chicken egg laid on a full moon by a 7-year old hen, and incubated for 6 years by snakes or toads. They fire poisonous quills from their tail, their gaze can petrify, and their breath is deadly. Coincidentally, both Cockatrices and Moa are based on creatures from the past, whether extinct or myth.
Issues relating to Cockatrice mob are maintained on the bug tracker. Report issues for Cockatrice there.
- Initial release: Introduced
- 22.214.171.124: Spawn rate nerfed
- 126.96.36.199: Spawn rate nerfed further
- 1.7.10-1.5: Nausea effect from Cockatrice poison is now shorter